Volleyball wins all three matches at tournament on Sept. 28

Ava Schoenberger

On Sept. 28, the Hays High lady Indians volleyball team held a quad in Hays, with the girls winning all three of their matches.

“My seniors are pretty great this year,” head coach Shannon Funk said. “They’re very mature and driven, not only to develop themselves, but to be good teammates.”

That drive has really paid off, based on the results of the quad.

For their first match, the girls battled the Salina South Cougars. In the first set, the Indians lost, 21-25. However, the Indians won the next two sets, both with scores of 25-23, which brought them the win against Salina South.

In the team’s second match, the Indians competed against the Abilene Cowgirls. The girls won the first set, 25-21. The Cowgirls won the second set, 25-17, but the Indians pulled through for the third and final set and won, 25-21.

For the third match for the lady Indians, they played against the Norton Bluejays. The Indians won their first set, 25-23. The Bluejays won the second set, 25-21. On the final set, the Indians once again finished strong by winning, 25-23.

The matches were tight, but the lady Indians pulled through and won every one of their matches. These wins brought their season record to 14-12. On Oct. 12, the team will compete in a triangular tournament at Hays.

25ctholstrup@usd489.com