Football team moves to 3-2 after games against Manhattan, Garden City, Ulysses

With a strong start to the season, the Hays High Indians looked to continue their undefeated streak facing up against Manhattan, Garden City and Ulysses.

On Sept. 15, the Indians took on Manhattan in their home stadium, Bishop Stadium, where Hays High scored early to start the game. After senior running back Malik Bah went down with an injury, Hays High struggled to keep their momentum going, soon losing control of the game. Hays took their first loss of the season, 49-7.

Following the loss, Hays faced off against Garden City at home on Sept. 22. In place of the injured Bah, sophomore Zane Viegra scored on a touchdown run early in the game. After two touchdowns by the Buffaloes, the Indians stormed back on a touchdown pass from junior Carter Graham to junior Braeden Moeckel. Late in the game, junior Wyatt Kirkpatrick blocked a punt in the Buffaloes’ endzone and recovered it to take the lead, 21-14. After a drive and score by Garden City, the game was sent to overtime, where the Buffaloes won on a game-winning field goal, 24-21.

Sitting at 2-2 on the season, the Indians had their Homecoming game against Ulysses on Sept. 29. After an early turnover by Hays, the Indians scored on a huge touchdown run by junior Ian McGuire. Following the early score, Hays kept the pace up, with touchdown receptions by Moeckel and sophomore Jarek Purdy to lead 20-0 at halftime.

To start the second half, junior Dalton Meyers forced a safety, leading to a touchdown pass from Graham to junior Jonathan Cano. After a blocked punt from the Indians, Graham found Cano again for his second touchdown reception of the night.

Following a long Ulysses drive, Meyers deflected a pass that ended up in the hands of Kirkpatrick, who returned the interception for a 70-yard touchdown. The Tigers answered with their only touchdown of the night, but late in the fourth quarter, Viegra found sophomore Caleb Thompson for a 76-yard score to close off a dominant Homecoming night, with the Indians on top, 48-7.

“It felt good [to win] because we had a couple hard-fought losses the two weeks before,” Cano said. “To get back on track in front of the home crowd and alumni meant a lot for the team.”

Hays improved to 3-2, with their next matchup on the road against the Dodge City Demons on Oct. 6.

24elucio@usd489.com