Orchestra adds festive cheer to Frost Fest

On Dec. 10, Hays held its annual Frost Fest parade, a winter-themed event for the community.

While many businesses on Main Street had festive activities for the event, the Hays Public Library is where members of Hays High School’s orchestra added to the festive cheer.

Members of the orchestra practiced playing classic Christmas tunes for two weeks, preparing to play at the library.

The orchestra played various Christmas songs, including classics, such as “Oh Christmas Tree,” “Silent Night,” “Up on the Housetop,” “God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen” and many more songs.

Orchestra members retrieved their instruments from the high school at 4:30 p.m. and made their way to the library. Members arrived at the library at 4:50 p.m. and practiced from 5 to 5:30 p.m. The doors opened to the public at 5:30 p.m., and the orchestra began to play their festive songs. They played until the start of the parade at 6 p.m., and then were dismissed.

“I thought that it was really nice to be able to perform before the parade,” junior Samara Dewitt said. “It was definitely not something that we would usually do in orchestra, but I thought that it was a nice new addition to give us something new to look forward to.”