Students plan to compete in Kansas Scholastic Press Association 2019 regional contest

Newspaper students and yearbook students competing in 5A/6A grouping at Fort Hays State University.

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Members of the Guidon staff and yearbook staff will be competing in the Kansas Scholastic Press Association. This contest will be held at Fort Hays State University on Feb 25.

The KSPA is a non-profit organization for journalism students and teachers. Students that place first, second, third or honorable mentions will be able to go to state.

Journalism advisor Bill Gasper believes the students can do well but also knows that 5A/6A competition will be a bit more difficult than 3A/4A.

KSPA has different categories that students can compete in. There is an on-site contest where students can do copyediting, sports writing, editorial cartoon, yearbook copywriting, feature writing, news writing, cutline writing, editorial writing and yearbook sports writing.

Then there is the digital submission contest where students submit their work online by Feb 13. In this category, there is academics photography, advertising, headline writing and design, infographics, newspaper page design, photo illustration, sports photography, student life photography and yearbook layout.

There is also digital submission as a group offered where students create yearbook theme and graphics.

“I’m excited to participate in the competition this year,” sophomore Alicia Feyerherm said. “I’ve never done a competition like this before. I’m competing in editorial writing and copy editing, I’m studying some style books and learning about the rules of journalism so I can do as well as I can at the competition.”

22nvuong@usd489.com