Science Olympiad to compete at Goodland

Senior Ashton Balthazor makes sure the measurements are correct on the tower for the Goodland competition. Balthazor will compete in three events at Goodland, two of which require the building of an apparatus before competing.

The Science Olympiad team will compete in a meet before regionals for the first time in the history of the group. The meet will take place Jan. 15 at Goodland.

Senior member Ashton Balthazor believes the meet will be good for the team to practice.

“I think this meet will really show the team the loose ends that we need to work on, and give us the confidence we need to push to state in the areas we do well in,” Balthazor said. “Practice is the only way to improve in Science Olympiad and this competition is one form of practice. The competition creates an environment that we want to learn in and from.”

Senior member Sara Rohleder also thinks the competition is good practice and is excited to have a meet before regionals.

“I’m excited to compete because Goodland is a tough team,” Rohleder said. “Having Goodland as competition will show our team what we really need to buckle down on and learn before regionals.”

Competing at Goodland will increase our chances at regionals junior member Cori Isbell said.

“It’s basically a practice run before the real thing,” Isbell said. “It will allow the new members to get a feel for how things will go. It will also give us a chance to work out kinks in designs and improve overall.”

[email protected]