Lil’ Abner Opening Night a Success

Lights dim and curtains open; the show has begun. The musical Lil’ Abner opened yesterday, Nov. 8. Performances begin at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There is a matinee on Sunday at 2:30. Opening night went smoothly for the cast.

“I couldn’t ask much more from the cast, crew and pit,” Johnny Matlock said. “We saw a lot of growth from the cast and the characters. It was a successful opening night.”

The cast also agreed that the show exceeded expectations.

“We performed exceptionally,” sophomore Jacob Balzer said. “The crowd was very responsive. I enjoyed hearing the reactions from the people.”

This year’s show offered a chance to feature larger group numbers and more named characters.

“I love the Jubilation T. Cornpone scene,” junior Christine Beougher said.

Senior Spencer Greathouse enjoyed performing last night as well.

“My favorite part in the show was Act one Scene 10 when Abner came home from Washington and sang ‘The Country’s In the Very Best of Hands’,” Greathouse said.

Many scenes in the show feature large dancing numbers.

“I love the dance scenes mostly because it’s something I’ve never seen before,” junior Julie Balzer said. “I’m in pit so I get to hear and see everything like the audience does. The audience’s reactions always crack me up.”

13aarthur@usd489.com