Students’ arrival time for school varies

The obnoxious beeping noise harasses your ears as you try to ignore the pestilence of your alarm clock. Eventually, the sound is so exasperating that you reach over to shut it off. The digital number displayed on the screen is none other than 8:01. Frustrated that you overslept, you quickly part from your warm bed and dart into the bathroom to get ready for school.

Each student requires a different amount of time to prepare themselves for the impending school day. Some students prefer waking and arriving early to school, while others would rather sleep extra and arrive a little later. Students have differing reasons behind their regular arrival times.

“I have to be at school early because I have chamber singers and jazz band practice in the morning,” senior Travis Wright said. “I get here around 7:12.”

Junior Laura Truman also arrives early at school for rehearsals.

“I get here at 7:30 every day,” Truman said. “Sometimes I go to jazz band, and sometimes I skip and just hang out with friends.”

Other students arrive to school early to complete homework assignments.

“On maroon days I get here at about 7:15 so I can finish all my homework for those classes,” sophomore Abbey Rupke said. “On gold days I don’t need to be here until 7:45.”

Some students just feel more prepared for class when arriving before school starts.

“I like being here early so I can have more time to prep for classes,” freshman Kristina Herl said. “I leave my house at 7:20 and get to school at around 7:30.”

Sophomore Alysia Cook doesn’t get to choose when she comes to school.

“I have to get here at 7:00,” Cook said. “If I didn’t, it would mess up my foster mom’s morning routine.”

Freshman Konner Buxton doesn’t get to choose his arrival time either.

“I don’t get here until 7:50 because I have to do chores in the morning,” Buxton said.

Some students prefer sleeping later and taking their time arriving to school.

“I get to school whenever I wake up,” junior Sarah Malott said. “My alarm goes off at 6:30, but I have it set that way intentionally so at some point I’ll get up.”

Senior Mackenzie Flaska shares that philosophy with Malott.

“I don’t get here until between 8:00 and 8:10,” Flaska said. “I’m lazy and I’m always almost late.”