Filed under Cross Country, Sports

Maldonado, Herreman qualify for state cross country

Sophomore runner Yesenia Maldonado races ahead of the pack of runners.

Corina Beam

Corina Beam

Sophomore Yesenia Maldonado and senior Tana Herreman qualified for the state cross country meet after finishing in the top 10 at the regional meet in McPherson on Oct. 21.

Maldonado placed sixth overall with a time of 21:50 and Herreman ended in 10th with a time of 22:13. Others who competed were freshman Claire Schippy, 48th, 24:21; senior Madison Schmidt, 50th, 24:29; freshman Kassi Zimmer, 53rd, 24:36; sophomore Maddie Lohmeyer, and freshman Cristina Leos finishing in 64th and 65th with a time of 25:09. The girls ended up in last out of four teams.

In the boys race, the Indians placed last as well. Individually, freshman Dawson VonFeldt lead the way with a 14th place finish and a time of 18:17 while sophomore Justice Dotts placed 41st in 19:13. Others who competed were sophomore Grant Brungardt, 43rd, 19:19; sophomore Conner Cunningham, 65th, 20:04; senior Garrett Gregg, 66th, 20:04; senior Mark Schuckman, 78th, 20:26; sophomore Nathan Erbert, 88th, 21:21.

“Cross country wasn’t a huge part of my life, so I’m not too sentimental about it being over, but I am kind of sad that this will be my last sport in high school,” Schuckman said. I’m glad that it’s over because I really need some more free time, but I’m kind of sad that I won’t get to see those people and my friends as much anymore.”

[email protected]