Ladies basketball team takes fifth in Hays City Shootout

The girls ended up in fifth in the Hays City Shootout tournament after a loss in a close game against Newton. The final score of the game ended 40-46.

Starting girls were seniors Paige Lunsford, Hanna Pfannenstiel and Sidney Schmeidler and juniors Emily Braun and Katelyn Schumacher.

During the first period, Newton won the ball, but the Indians stole and Lunsford was fouled. She shot two free throws and made both. She then stole the ball and made a layup. Schumacher made a layup too, and soon after junior Janae Gagnon attempted a three, but was fouled. She missed the first and third, but made the second. The score at the end of the first was 7-5, Indians.

Junior Taylor Herman made a two-point shot in the second period putting the score 11-11. Schumacher was fouled and shot two, making only the first. Braun made a two-point layup, and junior Kaitlin Gulley followed behind with another layup with assistance from Pfannenstiel. The score at the end of the second was 18-20, Newton.

Pfannenstiel came out and made a layup in the beginning of the third. She was then fouled and shot two, missing the first and making the second. Pfannenstiel then made a three-point shot putting the score 24-25, Newton. Herman then was fouled and made both free throws. There was then a two-point shot by Lunsford. The score at the end of the third was 29-34, Newton.

Schumacher came out making a two-point layup in the fourth period. She was then fouled and shot a one and one. She made the first, but missed the second. A three-point shot was made by Gulley. Schumacher was fouled again and missed the first free throw, but made the second. Lunsford made a run to try and keep the Indians in the running with two layups.