Filed under Feature

Past, present Spring Play leads discuss their experiences

Twenty-eight students make up the cast and crew of “The Man Who Came to Dinner,” which will be presented at 7 p.m. on March 15-17 at 12th Street Auditorium. General admission tickets are available at the Hays High office or from any cast member or can be purchased at the door.

Bill Gasper

Bill Gasper

Those who have participate in Spring Play each year have found that it has positively affected them in different way.

Senior Amiyah Gonzalez is one of the leads in this year’s production, “The Man Who Came to Dinner.”

“Spring Play helped me find my group,” Gonzalez said. “I’m friends with everyone who’s in Spring Play. One of my favorite parts of practice is just being able to chill out and hang out with the people. Also, I was really shy freshman year. Being part of Spring Play really helped me get out my shell and develop a personality.”

Alumni Madison Crees participated in Spring Play all four years of her high school career. She was a lead in “You Can’t Take It With You” and “12 Angry Jurors.” Crees agreed that Spring Play helped her develop self-confidence.

“It (Spring Play) made me more comfortable in my skin by being up in front of people and with all eyes on me,” Crees said.

Crees also mentioned the family-like atmosphere of Spring Play.

“People underestimate just how much time you spend together in those eight or so weeks,” Crees said. “It may not be as intensive as other experiences, like musical, but the more lax environment allows everyone to just sit back and have fun, and get to know each other. I still am in contact with a good lot of those who I became friends with through Spring Play.”

Crees advises those who want to become Spring Play leads to work hard and stay focused.

“Work hard, don’t let others get into your head, and do not take yourself too seriously,” Crees said.  “Keep your eye on the prize and know what you want. Convince whoever is casting that you are that role, and it will work out if you take the steps to make it happen.”

[email protected]