Yearbook class keeps students busy

Yearbook class works yearlong making and planning out the yearbook for us to enjoy later down the road.
“We mostly work on pages by ourselves unless it’s the class pages which consist of four double-paged spreads,” junior Kylie Brown said.
The students work on their assigned pages throughout the entire year until the end of July. Towards the beginning of the year, they try to pick out four or five different pages that they want to work on and then the editors have the final say.
“At the beginning of the year we do so instruction and sell ads,” journalism teacher Bill Gasper said.
At the start of the year, students get instructed on how to lay out their pages and do things for the class. After that they sell ads to cut yearbook costs and the editors finalize plans they made over the summer.
“I think any student publications work takes dedication and responsibility,” Gasper said.
Gasper has little say about who does what in the class. It’s mainly the editors who organize and design the plans for the class.
“A student publications class is different from a normal class,” Gasper said. “If you have a slacker, someone else has to pick it up.”
In yearbook, students have to get their deadlines done or the yearbook could flop. If someone doesn’t do their work another student has to step up and do the extra work. According to Gasper that hasn’t happened in years.
“It’s hard to get your pages done in the deadlines, but if you work hard it can be done in the time frame,” junior Taylor Deboer said.
Some pages take longer than other due to how quickly people respond to email or what’s going on during the time of the year. There are more deadlines in the spring since there are more school activities.
“This class teaches me about deadlines, how jobs work and it’s teaching me how to work with different programs and improve my writing and photography.” Brown said.
The class isn’t all about laying students photos, there are also surveys, photos from school events, captions, quotes, and brief little paragraphs describing events.
“I try to recruit the best students that get their work done,” Gasper said.

16jschaffer@usd489.com