Coffee Bar Back In School?

For most students, mornings are tough. Getting up bright and early may seem like an endless battle against exhaustion. With pop machines being taken from the school, students feel lethargic and eager for a new source of caffeine. Perhaps a coffee bar?

“A coffee bar in school would be amazing,” junior Ashley Arthur said “I think people would be way more awake and energetic for their classes.”

Most students, of course, are for the idea of installing a coffee bar for that morning pick-me-up to jog your brain before school. But they aren’t the only ones.

“I don’t think it would hurt anything,” said teacher Nancy Flax. “Students would really enjoy it, teachers too.”

While some teachers and students see nothing wrong with the idea, there are those who are concerned about the health of the student body.

“I think having coffee for students to purchase in the mornings would be encouraging caffeine addiction,” senior Hunter Wilkens said. “It’s not good for your heart or anything for that matter.”

Students are not only worrying about the health issues a coffee bar may bring, but also being late to class.

“I think it would just give students another reason to be late to class,” sophomore Paige Coffman said. “Kids already have enough excuses.”

With strict Kansas laws that limit the amount of caffeine, sugar and unhealthy foods students are allowed to buy during school, the possibility if installing a coffee bar may be highly unlikely. Nevertheless, some students still cross their fingers.

“It probably won’t ever happen, but it would be great” junior Heaven Vrana said. “We’re not allowed to have soda so we need some form of caffeine to survive.

14rmoravek@usd489.com