Senior to take non-traditional path after graduation

During this time of the year, many seniors are busy writing essays, applying for colleges and scholarships, and filling out the FAFSA. For one particular senior, however, the story is different.

“I’m applying to the Coast Guard because it’s a great alternative to college, especially because I’m so tired of school,” senior Samantha Fisher said. “It’s four years to mature, get paid, serve your country, and it looks great on any and every application.”

The Coast Guard is a branch of the United States military that deals with law enforcement on U.S. waters. Areas of work include nautical science, seamanship, and leadership.

“I plan on being a Marine Science Technician, which is basically a marine biologist,” Fisher said.

The military offers ROTC programs that involve paying for a member’s college education in exchange for a certain number of years of service. Fisher said she plans to take one of these programs, but instead of going to college first, she wants to get her service years out of the way and get an education later on.

“I want to go to college,” Fisher said. “I just want a break first. I’m so tired of school, and the Coast Guard is a great alternative.”

According to Fisher, the Coast Guard is smaller, easier to advance in, and not involved in direct military combat (in other words, she won’t get shot at). Military service also looks good on both college and career applications, which she said is another big reason she decided to take a non-traditional route towards education.

Fisher said she is very excited to move on to this next step in her life.

“I can’t wait for the mental and physical challenges of the Coast Guard,” Fisher said. “But I’m more excited to get away from Hays and get on with my life.”

12lmarcotte@hayshighindians.com