Filed under Top Stories

Recent Hays High graduate returns to community theatre roots

Erin Muirhead is now attending K-State for her Event Planning and Management degree and hopes to help organize music events. One of Muirhead's most recent musical roles was Esmeralda in last year's production of

Erin Muirhead is now attending K-State for her Event Planning and Management degree and hopes to help organize music events. One of Muirhead's most recent musical roles was Esmeralda in last year's production of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

This summer’s Hays Community Theatre production, “The Little Mermaid,” will take place at 7 p.m. on July 25-27 at Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center. Ticket sales will be announced shortly at https://www.hctks.com/events

Recent graduate Erin Muirhead will be returning to the Hays Community Theatre to star as Ariel in their summer production of “The Little Mermaid,”Muirhead started her acting career at HCT in the second grade and has been a part of five past productions.

“I loved being in HCT when I was little, and I thought it would be a great way to spend my summer back in Hays,” Muirhead said. “Also, ‘The Little Mermaid’ is a favorite of mine. This show will be so enjoyable for all ages.”

Since leaving Hays High, Muirhead said she’s been keeping herself busy with classes, work, and adjusting to a new town. She is currently a Hospitality Management major at Kansas State University and is pursuing an Event Planning and Management degree.

“I would love to keep music in my profession, so I am hoping to coordinate music events,” Muirhead said.

Along with her major, she’s taken music classes to better her chances in the management field, and is a member of the K-State Collegiate Chorale.

Muirhead is most looking forward to be acting alongside her real-life sister, Rachel, who will play one of Ariel’s sisters in the show this summer.

“We did community theatre together growing up, but it has been six years since we’ve been in a production together,” Muirhead said. “I’m so excited to share the excitement with her once again.”

One of Muirhead’s favorite things about acting is how the cast as a whole can make something bigger than any individual can.

“As a team, we get to create an escape for the audience members and for ourselves,” Muirhead said. “All the effort that goes into a single show is massive, but it’s extremely rewarding in the end.”

21cleiker@usd489.com

Caitlin Leiker, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Leiker is a sophomore, and this is her first year in newspaper. She is also involved in Chamber Singers, Musical, and Spring Play. Outside of school,...