Filed under News, Top Stories

Students chosen for Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership camp

Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership takes place at Kansas State University for sophomores going into their junior year. This year, the ambassadors from Hays High include sophomores Allison Brooks and Alicia Feyerherm.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) is a leadership seminar taking place during the summer for incoming juniors and those who were interested had the opportunity to attend an informational meeting and send in an essay stating why they should be chosen.

This year, sophomores Allison Brooks and Alicia Feyerherm were chosen to attend the conference taking place from May 30 to June 2 at Kansas State University.

“I thought it would be a cool opportunity,” Brooks said. “I’ve seen a lot of people who have gone in the past talk about it, and they always seem like they had a really good time.”

In the past two years, those who have attended include seniors Isabelle Braun and Connor Olson and juniors Maddie Lohmeyer and Emily Goetz. Before them, Feyerherm’s mom was able to participate.

“My mom went to it back in the day, so it’s kind of like a family history,” Feyerherm said. “I hope to learn how to be a better leader and make connections with people all across the state.”

During their time at HOBY, ambassador’s will have the opportunity to attend panels and listen to different speakers.

“I thought it would be a really good leadership opportunity, and it sounded like fun,” Feyerherm said. “When they announced it, I went to the informational meeting, and the more I heard about it, the more I realized it was something I wanted to do, so I applied, and I ended up being accepted.”

19ibraun@usd489.com

Isabelle Braun, Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Braun is a senior who loves talking to new people and spending time with friends. She is very driven and plans to make her senior year the best...