Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Girl Scouts give back

Girl Scouts give back

Girl Scouts McKena McBride, Alisara Arial, Johnessa Gay and Alexis White after shopping for angel tree gifts.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Students from Girl Scout Troop 10247 purchased clothing items for two angel tree children after school on Nov. 20.

Every year, Ellis County Teaming up for Tots (TUFT) sets up trees at Walmart, Walgreens, and Big Creek Crossing covered with pink and blue paper angels.

The angels represent local children in need. Each child in the program is assigned one clothing angel and one toy angel complete with their wish list information.

The same program also gives parents gift wrap and tape to wrap the gifts for their family. It’s all to help make sure every child has a happy Christmas.

In keeping with tradition, for the ninth year sophomores in Girl Scout Troop 10247 spent time shopping for those less fortunate. Every year, the troop chooses angel tree children, usually girls, around the same age who need clothing items.

“It started when our girls were just second grade Brownies,” troop leader for Senior Troop 10247 Kendra McBride said, “They learned about needs versus wants and comparison shopping through badge work, then put what they learned into practice.”

According to McBride, over the past nine years, the troop has purchased 38 angel tree gifts. Troop funds, earned by cookie and candy sales, cover the cost.

This year, the troop voted to purchase for two angel tree recipients, making a total of 40 children they have helped.
“I love that we are helping others,” sophomore Johnessa Gay said.

Gay joined Troop 10247 in sixth grade, but has been a member of Girl Scouts since Kindergarten. At the time she joined her current troop, there were twenty-one members.

Now just four remain, sophomores Alisara Arial, Johnessa Gay, McKena McBride, and Alexis White. All but Arial, who joined in middle school, have been scouts since Kindergarten.

All of the girls agree angel tree shopping is something they plan to continue in the future.

Anyone can pick up an angel and purchase gifts, a $30 limit, then return the paper angel and unwrapped gifts before Dec. 12 to one of the 4 drop off locations.

“My favorite memory from angel tree shopping is how all the girls in the troop grew so close to one another while doing something that would help change someone’s life,” White said, “My favorite thing about angel tree shopping is that we are able to help those in need.”

21mmcbride@usd489.com

McKena McBride, Staff Reporter

McKena McBride is a sophomore, and this is her first year in Newspaper. She plays violin and is on the tennis team. A lover of all things music, she wants...