Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Students to collect shoes in Calista Isbell’s memory

Alexis White, sophomore (left) and Calista Isbell (right) with her reed between her teeth before her clarinet solo last year

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

That’s the type of person Calista Isbell was.

On her birthday last year, Calista wanted to take part in a Nashville-based charity called Soles4Souls, which is a non-profit organization that works to stomp out poverty in underdeveloped countries.

Soles4Souls was founded as a disaster relief organization after philanthropists and shoe executives provided footwear to those most impacted by The Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005. They continue to act as second wave respondents providing footwear and clothing to those in need during times of disaster.

Since Soles4Souls began in 2006, they’ve distributed over 30 million pairs of shoes in 127 countries and all 50 U.S. states. The shoes will also be distributed to families who will then sell them to have money for food, medicine, and education for their kids.

In Haiti, for example, the sale of one pair of shoes can provide five meals. Twenty pairs of shoes can provide a year’s worth of shelter. In Honduras. Thirty pairs of shoes can provide a year’s worth of schooling.

The national collection goal for this year is 10,000 pairs of shoes.

Calista’s brother, freshman Christopher Isbell, wants to carry out Calista’s dream for her birthday this year on Nov. 17. The collection will last for a year.

“I encourage everyone to at least try to help one another,” Christopher said. “Say hey to someone every day, help them with homework, or comfort them. Be a good person to other people.”

Senior Cordelia Isbell and Calista’s Crew from the suicide prevention walk will also take part in the project by setting up donation boxes in places like the Hays Public Library, Walmart, Dillions, and the Arc, as well as different churches in Hays.

“I think the shoe drive is incredibly important because not only will it preserve Calista’s memory, it will benefit other kids in need,” sophomore and Calista’s Crew member Ashley Vilaysing said.

The Isbell family also plans to go to administration to present the idea of putting a collection box out at the school. While the collection won’t start until Nov. 17, the plan right now is to start spreading the word.

Calista’s mother, Jeanne Isbell, is very confident in Calista’s Crew and said they will never fail.

“Calista will continue to live in our hearts and be a part of our lives through carrying out her hope for a better world for less fortunate people,” Jeanne said.

21cleiker@usd489.com

Caitlin Leiker, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Leiker is a sophomore, and this is her first year in newspaper. She is also involved in Chamber Singers, Musical, and Spring Play. Outside of school, she enjoys singing at her church, playing piano, watching Netflix, and hanging out with her friends.