Students compare popular books and movies

A hot topic is always up for debate is: Will the movie be as good as the book. Now-a-days, it is very common for Hollywood to turn best-selling books into major motion pictures.

However, the movie sometimes disappoints.

“There hasn’t ever been a movie based on a book that I was impressed with that I recall,” sophomore Rebecca Stegman said. “They almost always mess something up.”

To make a book come to life, immense planning, writing, casting, acting and filming goes into the making of that film. The director has to pick the person they feel can not only look the part, but play the part.

“I am kind of disappointed with the cast of The Host,” freshman Rachel Stritt said. “They aren’t quite what I imagined but I am still really excited for the movie to come out in March.”

This year alone, there are at least eight movies coming out that are based on books including Ender’s Game; Nov. 1, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire; Nov. 22, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones; Aug. 23, and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters; Aug 16.

Somepeople haven’t even realized many of these movies are coming out.

“Now that I know it is coming out, I am really looking forward to Ender’s Game,” junior Alysia Cook said. “I read the book last year for English and I really liked it.”

Junior Shelby Richmeier and others are looking forward to The Mortal Instrument’s.

“I think the Percy Jackson books are amazing,” sophomore Tessa Johnson said. “I am looking forward to the new one because it is supposed to be more accurate than the last one was.”

This past year also marked the end of two major book-movie series: Harry Potter and the Twilight Saga.

“I read half of Twilight and gave up because it was boring,” sophomore Jordan Wilson said. “But I watched all the movies and thought they were way better.”

Even with the inconsistencies of movie adaptations of books, many students still have their favorites.

“I really liked the Harry Potter series,” sophomore Ben Rajewski said. “The only inconsistency I can think of is Voldemort’s nose is too big.”

Sophomore Max Stieben thinks the last two movies were the most accurate.

Nicole Feyerherm was most impressed with The Hunger Games. “I think out of all the movies I have seen based on books, they are the most accurate,” Feyerherm said.

14snansel@usd489.com