Seniors prepare for Dane Hansen Scholarship

Transcripts sent and resumes completed, seniors prepare for the Dane Hansen Scholarship. It is awarded to students in the 26 Northwestern Kansas counties ranging from $2,000 to $20,000.
“The application process for the scholarship is different between college and career tech-ed,” Counselor Kathy Spicer said. “For college-bound students, any senior who had a GPA of 3.5 or above and a composite score of 21 or higher on the ACT their junior year, qualifies for the test. The test will be given Sept. 13 at 9 a.m. For the career and tech-ed, there is no test or GPA requirement. They fill out an application in the counseling office, transcript and resume. It must be sent by Nov. 2.”
Students taking the test Thursday have been given some extra study tips to succeed. The English portion of the test will have essay topics students must write during the allotted time. The counselors have advised students to have an outline or idea of an autobiography and to take note of recent news.
“I’m a little nervous,” senior Sarah Malott said. “Mostly for the essays, though.”
Last year 22 students received the college scholarships. Nine of them received the career and tech-ed scholarship.
“This year the college award amount has increased,” Spicer said. “There are now three levels of scholarships. The Dane Hansen Student award gives students $6,000 per student; $8,000 for the first two years of college is awarded to the student who receives the Dane Hansen Scholar scholarship. The last is the ‘Leadership of Tomorrow’ which gives students a total of $26,000 for the full four years of college.”
Students are hoping for positive results.
“I’m scared out of my pants because I haven’t had time to study and I still need to,” senior Eryn Johannes said. “It’s important I do well. I need this scholarship.”
13aarthur@usd489.com