Indian baseball ends season, 20-2, after loss against Great Bend in regional championship

Junior Brock Lummus bats at a previous home game. The team ended its season 20-2 after a loss in the regional championship against the Great Bend Panthers.

Alyssa Underwood

Alyssa Underwood

Alyssa Underwood

First Round Against Newton

The Indian baseball team entered the post season as the #2 seed with a 19-1 record which allowed them to host the regional tournament at home.

Freshman Dylan Dreiling hit a grand slam during the first inning in the first game against Newton. Newton scored three in the top of the first inning.

Senior Trey Riggs then belted a three-run home run to improve the score to Sophomore Dominic Bainter provided an RBI in the third and fourth inning. The RBI in the fourth inning brought Dreiling home again to secure a 9-3 score.

Senior Palmer Hutchison pitched all seven innings allowing four hits, two walks and seven strikeouts.

With this victory, the team improved its record to 9-3.

Championship Round Against Great Bend

In the championship game, the team found itself facing its rival, the Great Bend Panthers.

The last time the Indians faced the Panthers, the team suffered its first lost.

Great Bend took an early lead in the top of the first on a two-run double and held that lead through the first three innings. Senior Cody Peterson scored the first point while senior Cody Peterson scored another point off a single from senior Trey Riggs.

In the sixth inning, Great Bend took an error to take a 3-2 advantage. The Indians would just allow three more runs from the Panthers to suffer a 6-2 loss.

Riggs pitched six and a third innings while Peterson pitched the last two thirds of the inning.

This game marks the end of coach Frank Leo’s 39-year career. He leaves the program with 576 victories.

The Indian baseball team ended its season 20-2 with both losses to Great Bend, and the Panthers advance to the 5A State Tournament with a 10-10 record.

21abrull@usd489.com

Anna Brull, Staff Reporter

Anna Brull is a sophomore, and this is her second year in newspaper. She is also involved in Cross Country, Student Council, Red Cross Club and Chess Club....