Filed under Golf, Sports

Lady Indian golfers again headed to state tournament

The Lady Indians golf team qualified for state after taking second at the Class 5A Regional Tournament on Oct. 11. It marked the 13th straight year Hays will make the state trip. The golfers will travel to Hesston on Oct. 15 for state.

Bill Gasper

Bill Gasper

Bill Gasper

For the 13th straight year, the Lady Indians golf team has qualified for the state tournament.

The state berth resulted from their second-place finish at the Class 5A Regional Tournament held at Smoky Hill Country Club on Oct. 11.

Hays shot an 18-hole total of 398 to finish behind Maize South in first with 366. Maize was only two shots off the state qualifying pace as it ended up in third with 400. Other teams that competed were Salina South 422, Great Bend 455, and Goddard 457.

Individually, freshman Taleia McCrae led the Indians with a 95 enroute to a seventh-place medal. Also earning medalist honors were seniors Molly Eikenberry in ninth with a 98 and Emily McGuire in 10th with a 100. Shooting a 105 and claiming 15th place was sophomore Sophia Garrison. Seniors Emily George and Brittani Park both carded a 106 to tie for 17th place.

The state tournament is set for Oct. 15 at the Hesston Golf Park with a tee time of noon.

Brittani Park, Staff Reporter/Infographics

Brittani Park is a senior this year and this is her first year in Newspaper. Brittani's favorite things are people, music, art and the color yellow. She...