Filed under Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball opens season with a sweep at Dodge City

Junior Tasiah Nunnery setting the ball last year at home. T. Nunnery led the team in kills in the season opener.

Kaityln Brown

Kaityln Brown

Kaityln Brown

The Lady Indian volleyball team opened up its season at Dodge City where it went 3-0,  beating Sublette, Dodge City and Lakin.

In the first match against Sublette, the Indians won in two games, 25-17 and 25-8. Junior Tasiah Nunnery led with 13 kills, while senior Hannah McGuire and sophomore Brooklyn Schaffer had 12 assists each.  Senior Kallie Leiker had eight digs.

In the second match against Dodge City, the Indians had the score of 25-18 and 25-19. In this game T. Nunnery had 11 kills, McGuire had six assists and Leiker had 10 digs.

In the final match, the Indians finished the games in two, beating Lakin with the scores of 25-11 and 25-23.  Rounding out the final game T. Nunnery had 13 kills while McGuire had 14 assists and senior Savannah Schneider had seven digs.

Coach Christin Nunnery said the team played very good and played as a team despite the rotation changes. They still have a few things to work on defensively, but offensively they were pretty strong.

Nunnery said the team has many key players, but that Leiker, T. Nunnery and senior Jaycee Dale had many shining moments. Nunnery said Leiker in the back row played solid defense and had great communication. T. Nunnery led in the team in all the games with kills while Dale was a wall at the net and solid solo blocks, Nunnery said.

“What stood out the most to was the amount of communication we had,” T. Nunnery said. “There has been multiple games where we didn’t talk, but yesterday we did.”

Nunnery also said these wins set them up to host substate.

Dale said these wins set the team up to starting off the season confidently. Dale also said the team hustled a lot more than normal in getting balls that they used to not get.

Dale believes the team needs to keep working and getting better at all aspects of the game, but the one thing that stands out the most is the blocking

“None of us really got down on ourselves which is a very new thing,” Dale said. “I feel like we have all gotten mentally stronger.”

19mfagan@usd489.com

MacKenzie Fagan, Assistant Sports Editor

MacKenzie Fagan is a senior and this is her third year in Newspaper. MacKenzie enjoys spending my time with family and friends and playing softball.