Filed under Basketball, Sports

Lady Indians fall to Garden City Buffalos

Sophomore Brooke Denning goes up for a shot in a recent game against Great Bend. On Feb 16, the Lady Indians basketball team lost to Garden City.

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

Jacob Maska

The Lady Indian basketball team would fall to a 11-7 record on the season after losing to the Garden City Buffalos, 36-50.

The Indians would outscore the Buffalos in the first quarter, putting them up 12-5. Although the Indians go ahead at the beginning of the game, the lead would only last for the length of the first quarter,

The Buffalos would outscore the Indians in the second quarter, 9-5, but would finish the first half tied with the Indians 14-14.

Following the first half, the Buffalos would gain the lead, which would last for the rest of the game, beating the Indians 50-36.

“Coming into the game, we knew Garden City was going to be good competition, knowing it was a WAC game,” junior Savannah Schneider said. “We expected a better outcome, but they battle hard and our shots just didn’t fall.”

Schneider led the team in scoring with 11 points, followed by sophomore Tasiah Nunnery with seven points, junior Mattie Hutchison with five points, sophomore Isabel Robben with four points, junior Jaycee Dale with three points, and sophomore Brooke Denning and juniors Madyson Flax and Kallie Leiker all with two points.

Leading offensive rebounds was Hutchison with three rebounds. Leading assists was Robben with three.

19tschiffelbein@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Taylor Schiffelbein, Sports Editor

Taylor Schiffelbein is a senior at Hays High. She is in her third year of newspaper on the sports team. The past two years Taylor has been the sports editor....

Jacob Maska, Photo Editor

Jacob Maska, a four year member of the Guidon staff and former Sports Editor and current Photo Editor. Maska has played soccer for all four years of his...