From lunch room to food court

Around here, following rules or standards is a must.  When the new nutrition guidelines came out, administrators and faculty immediately took action to prevent the school from being penalized.

Some schools, such as Garden City High School, do not care about the new regulations that have been set in place.

The school already has open lunch for students who are sophomores or older, but now they will be putting in fast food restaurants such as McDonalds and Arby’s into a food court at the school.

While our school is cutting out pop machines and losing money in the process, other schools are taking in money, even though it goes against the new nutrition guidelines for schools.  Our school technically didn’t have to take out our pop machines yet, but it continues to follow the guidelines instead of being punished.

When taking a step back to look, Hays’ lunches are decent and students have many choices to decide from at lunch.  Not only are there several choices, but fairly healthy.

If students choose to eat unhealthy, they are going to eat unhealthy.  There is no way around that.  As a school, the majority of students should be able to make a wise decision on the intake of unhealthy products they consume on a daily basis.

Those students that decide to eat healthy regularly, but decide they need a pop just to stay awake for that last hour of the day shouldn’t be punished.  If students are considered old enough to drive at this age, shouldn’t they be considered old enough to decide healthy lunches and snacks?