Fall musical hits the stage

Courtesy Photo
The artwork and advertisement for Urinetown

The Fall Musical, a comical satire called “Urinetown,” hit the stage on Thursday, Nov. 11 for opening night.

The musical occurred on Thursday, Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 13 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., then on Sunday, Nov. 14 at 2 p.m.

“Urinetown” featured a grave amount of comedic relief along with a twisted love story between the protagonist and the daughter of the antagonist. During a mass water shortage, an evil corporation sets out to bribe the government to make it illegal to urinate or defecate outside of public bathrooms, along with owning a personal bathroom.

So-called “Urine Good Company” is led by the greedy antagonist, Caldwell B. Cladwell, the father of Hope Cladwell.

“The best parts of the musical were performing and connection with the whole cast,” junior Seth Tripp, who played Caldwell B. Cladwell, said. “I loved the cast, and I absolutely loved my role. My character had a different personality than me, and it was fun bringing the character to life. Who doesn’t like being a villain?”

With the corporation forcing the idea of monetizing the need to release bodily functions, less fortunate people were disproportionately affected. This led to many people to not be able to afford to use the restroom, forcing them to do so outside, and in turn, getting imprisoned and sent to “Urinetown.”

“Urinetown” is the ultimate punishment for crime that is committed, a place people thought was rugged, but was just the route to death.

Within the scar of the poor people, they soon start to rebel. A leader comes fourth, a leader who is tall, blonde, and played by senior Carson Brooksher.

“Personally, the best part was our second Saturday night show,” Brooksher said. “It was when I hit every note, and everything came together; it was a magical moment, as cliché as it may sound. I absolutely enjoy my role. I have always aspired to be the lead, and I finally got to show my full talent to a crowd.”

The musical sold around 200 tickets per night, roughly 800 in total, which made around $8,000, which will be put back into the musical for next year.

“I think the challenges were just getting all of the details for a really massive production put together,” musical director Alex Underwood said. “Whether it’s the hair and makeup, props or the sets. In addition with advertising, publicity and ticket sales. The cast holds themselves to high standards, and they’re really good towards each other. It is a really positive environment. My favorite memories are just watching them grow and learn and be so fantastic. I think it is the most rewarding part of my job.”