Filed under Media, News

Orchestra hosts annual Ice Cream Concert

Senior+Alex+Hagerman+plays+her+contest+solo%2C+%22Kol+Nidrei%22+by+Max+Bruch%2C+during+this+year%27s+Ice+Cream+Concert.+Hagerman+is+one+of+five+seniors+in+Orchestra.+

Senior Alex Hagerman plays her contest solo,

Senior Alex Hagerman plays her contest solo, "Kol Nidrei" by Max Bruch, during this year's Ice Cream Concert. Hagerman is one of five seniors in Orchestra.

Caitlin Leiker

Caitlin Leiker

Caitlin Leiker

The Orchestra’s annual Ice Cream Concert took place at 7 p.m. on April 1 in the cafeteria. Seniors Isabelle Braun, Alex Hagerman, Zoe A. Martin, Kayli Potter and Carl Rorstrom were recognized for their work in the Orchestra program.

The large group performed “Prelude” by Edvard Grieg, “Waterloo Station” by Alan Lee Silva, “Danny Rocks” by Bob Phillips, and “Libertango” by Astor Piazzol.

Contest solos and ensembles were also presented at the concert. The Maroon Quartet (freshman Sidney Wittkorn, cello; sophomore Ashley Vilaysing, violin; junior Cely Hutchinson, violin; and junior Michaela Austin, viola) played “Concerto in D Minor” by Vivaldi.

The Gold Quartet (Hagerman, violin; sophomore Tom Drabkin, violin; sophomore Alisara Arial, viola; and Rorstrom, cello) performed “Allegro Con Spirito (Op. 2 #6)” by Boccherini.

Hagerman soloed in “Kol Nidrei” by Bruch, and Rorstrom soloed in “Konzert von Luigi Boccherini” by Boccherini.

“I was proud of them,” Orchestra director Joan Crull said. “I always say that a performance is worth five practices. This is good so people can see what we still need to work on.”

21cleiker@usd489.com

Caitlin Leiker
The orchestra waits for their director, Joan Crull, to begin the concert. The students played four songs, recognized seniors and allowed for special small groups to show their contest pieces off.

Caitlin Leiker, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Leiker is a sophomore, and this is her first year in newspaper. She is also involved in Chamber Singers, Musical, and Spring Play. Outside of school,...