Officer speaks to health class about drugs, alcohol

Officer Vilaysing spoke to health classes on Nov. 28 and 29, giving students the opportunity to ask questions regarding drugs and alcohol. Vilaysing has been involved with law enforcement since he was 17.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

Officer Vilaysing spoke during the G2, M3 and M4 health classes on Nov. 28 and 29, teaching students about drug and alcohol affects and consequences.

“We have been doing an alcohol unit, and we’re getting ready to start other drugs besides alcohol,” instructor Rick Keltner said. “We were so very fortunate Officer Vilaysing was able to come and visit and answer questions the students may have about those issues.”

Students could ask questions concerning DUI’s, MIP’s, etc. All health classes had the opportunity to visit with the officer, including freshmen in instructor Haley Wolf’s class.

Vilaysing has been involved with law enforcement since he was 17 years old.

“I’ve been a police officer with the city of Hays for 13 years,” Vilaysing said. “Before that I was with the military police in the army reserve as a sergeant.”

Students were asked to have open conversations with the officer and their peers, prompting questions such as if a 17 year old can get in trouble for being in a car with a Juul and an 18 year old, and if they would get in trouble if they borrowed their parents car that had something illegal for an under-aged person to have.

“I think just hearing the consequences and knowing it’s not just going to be a slap on the wrist, hopefully it’ll allow them to make better decisions,” Vilaysing said.

19ibraun@usd489.com

Isabelle Braun, Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Braun is a senior who loves talking to new people and spending time with friends. She is very driven and plans to make her senior year the best...