Cody Conger

Senior Tyler Rodgers begins coding in class

Game design gives students experience for the future

Students looking for a challenging programming experience might consider Game Design and Authoring for the Web, a class that is offered only in the fall.

According to the course guide, the class utilizes basic concepts, methods and skills in programming while creating video games through interactive software.

“In class, students are put into a simulated internship environment,” instructor Lindsay Hart said. “They work through tutorials and simulations to learn the game design industry from coding, ethics and how the games work.”

The class teaches students what to expect when working in a game design environment, as well as shows them how to code and produce video games at their own pace.

“A lot of students like to play games,” Hart said. “They don’t necessarily know what goes on behind the scenes of the game.”

From working on text adventure games to building up an entire game on their own, the class is hands- on and interactive while being challenging.

“It is kind of a lot of work,” Hart said. “I think students need to have some previous experience behind them to be in this class.”

The Guidon Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in