Student volunteers needed for Go Truck Go project

Commissioner Sandy Jacobs provided advice for each project discussed at the strategic doing.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

The strategic doing on Sept. 10 provided an opportunity for community members to share ideas about necessary changes or additions in Ellis County.

“The meeting was more of an update on what we have going on with our different groups and projects,” instructor Shaina Prough said. “I think there is going to have to be some regrouping, some reinventions of tasks, so to speak.”

Prough said she was excited to hear how projects decided at previous meetings have progressed.

“People in our community saw a problem in our community and made a plan to fix it,” Prough said. “They didn’t just complain about it.”

There are a few opportunities for students to become involved with these projects, such as the Go Truck Go project on Sept. 20 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Washington Elementary School. The group plans to begin setting up at 4 p.m.

“It is conducted by the Neighbor Group, and they would like people from the community to come out and tell their stories to get a more cohesive neighborhood feeling,” Prough said. “I think they are wanting to develop relationships rather than have everyone go about their day without interacting with one another.”

The Neighbor Group encourages students who can welcome and interact in more than one language to volunteer as well. Interested parties may contact DECA instructor Shaina Prough to volunteer.

“We need about 12 volunteers for this event,” Prough said. “This would be a great opportunity for service hours.”

20ahillebrand@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Allison Hillebrand, Assistant Editor

Allison Hillebrand is a junior and this is her second year in newspaper. She is excited to be a part of the editing staff this year, and is determined to make this a great year for everyone involved. Most of Allison’s time is spent surrounded by family and friends. She appreciates all newspaper staff and readers for their time and support.

Isabelle Braun, Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Braun is a senior who loves talking to new people and spending time with friends. She is very driven and plans to make her senior year the best one yet. After graduating, Braun plans to attend KU.