Freshmen meetings help students adjust

Senior+Jaysa+Wichers+holds+up+a+sign+with+her+assigned+academy+to+help+the+freshmen+in+her+group+find+her.+
Senior Jaysa Wichers holds up a sign with her assigned academy to help the freshmen in her group find her.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

Being the new kid in a big unfamiliar school can be daunting, but it’s always helpful when someone takes time to help show someone around.

While some freshmen already know what’s going on or have people they can ask, some do not. Leadership team has freshmen meetings to help them adjust to high school.

Junior Madeline Lohmeyer said that purpose of the leadership meetings is to help show the freshmen around and help them understand the school from a different perspective than the teachers.

The juniors and seniors go over classes, upcoming events, organization tips and answer any questions the freshmen might have. They also talk about homecoming week and the different student activities.

“I enjoyed learning more about homecoming because as a freshman this is all new,” freshmen Shelby Alexander said. “It was nice to know what we will be doing.”

Lohmeyer said that while she thought the meetings might seem repetitive for the freshmen, she hopes that the information is repeated often enough that they understand it and don’t have questions.

“I get to know some of the freshmen, because me being a senior, I don’t know them very well,” senior Hannah Harman said. “I get three or four that I get to know because you’re supposed to keep track of them and watch over them.”

19rporter@usd489.com

About the Contributors
Rebekah Porter, Staff Reporter
Rebekah Porter is a senior and this is her second year in Newspaper. She is also involved in tennis and band. She likes reading and spending time with her friends.
Isabelle Braun, Editor-in-Chief
Isabelle Braun is a senior who loves talking to new people and spending time with friends. She is very driven and plans to make her senior year the best one yet. After graduating, Braun plans to attend KU.