Foreign language department opening doors for the future

The foreign language classrooms are easy to spot in the halls as they have the flags of their countries outside the room.

Cody Conger

Cody Conger

With different cultures blending into our society and America being the melting pot of culture, it is only natural there are going to be differences, especially in language.

Many Americans today are proficient in one language which can be a detriment because some colleges require foreign language classes, and businesses desire employees who can speak multiple languages.

“It’s not just a language, it’s a culture,” German instructor Melanie Folkerts said. “Too many times we are so set on what we are that we don’t enjoy the cultures around us. All it does is bring positive things into your life.”

From getting to know family heritage to being able to blend into foreign society it is a skill that is seeming more and more necessary as the world progresses.

“We are the second or third largest Spanish speaking country in the world,” Spanish instructor Mathew Whitney said. “Contrary to popular opinion, the Spanish speakers in our country are going to continue to grow. From a business prospective, it is going to be very important for people to speak Spanish if they want to carry on in certain areas in the country.”

The teachers aren’t the only ones who enjoy the language greatly. There are students who find that foreign language is something they want to continue in the future and outside of school.

“At first it was to talk better with my family,” senior Kaleigh Ashbaugh said. “And then I met a friend over the internet who doesn’t speak English well so I wanted to learn Spanish for her, it just grew from there and I want to learn a bunch more languages.”

19cconger@usd489.com

Cody Conger, Staff Reporter

Cody Conger is a senior and this is his first year on the newspaper team. Cody is excited about being part of the voice for the school. In his free time...