Middle school contest collects pull tabs for Ronald McDonald House Charities

The contest was held in the month of October for the Ronald McDonald House Charities in Wichita. The event brought in participation from 31 TA's, and the winner was Sherry Nelson's class with 50.8 pounds.

Isabelle Braun

Isabelle Braun

Hays Middle School participated in a pull tab competition from Oct. 2 to Nov. 2, and the winners were granted a McDonald’s breakfast coupon.

The point of the event was for TA’s to collect as many pull tabs as they could and in the end, the winners would be announced.

“It went really well, a lot better than I thought it would,” Forinash said.

The DECA chapter put together the event which raised money for the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Those in charge of the project are juniors Isabelle Braun, Brianna Forinash and Kallie Leiker.

The winner was instructor Sherry Nelson’s TA with 50.8 lbs. The top three brought in at least over 20 lbs. each, and the weight of that equates a certain number of nights for the families in the houses.

“It takes about 1,130 pull tabs to equal one pound,” Leiker said. “Usually, we receive 40-50 cents per pound, so we were really amazed with the amount we received.”

In the future, the girls hope to continue this project.

“It gets a lot of people involved,” Forinash said. “It really helps out the Ronald McDonald House.”

19ibraun@usd489.com

Isabelle Braun, Editor-in-Chief

Isabelle Braun is a senior who loves talking to new people and spending time with friends. She is very driven and plans to make her senior year the best one yet. After graduating, Braun plans to attend KU.