Oktober Fest Follow-up

On a windy, chilly and rainy Friday Oct. 5, Chamber Singers and Marching Band performed at Oktober Fest. Chamber Singers performed at 10:30 a.m. and the band performed later during the day around 1 p.m. Junior Raeanna Peacock was pleased with the Chamber Singer’s performance.

“I was admired by how we could bring forth a magnificent ring that was centered within our blended sound,” Peacock said. “It was amazing how we could do this when it was absolutely freezing outside.”

Chamber Singers performed “The Spinning Song”, “Sing Me to Heaven”, “A Little Less Conversation” and a Glee Medley, “Hit Me with Your Best Shot (One Way or Another)”.

“The best part was singing the piece, “Sing Me to Heaven”, because it is a song that touches your soul,” Peacock said. “I was also excited that my mother was there to watch us perform that particular song. Her countenance was covered by a wide smile. I was about to cry knowing she could see me being a part of that magnificent group.”

The rain stalled the marching band’s performance time. Eventually it subsided long enough for the band to play their pieces. Sophomore Quinlan Brungardt was happy to perform at the Oktober Fest.

“I enjoyed performing the music,” Brungardt said. “I got to be with my friends and get out of school, which is always a plus.”

Pirate music is the theme for most of the song selection in band this year. “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”and “Pirates of the Caribbean Part Three” were some of the pieces performed.

“It was a lot of fun,” freshman Grace Walker said. “I love playing with the band. There weren’t very many people there, but the people who were there seemed to really like it. It made me feel good.”

The percussion also played some cadences such as “Sledge”, “Jump Salt”, “Bump ‘N Grind” and “Tuckers”.

“My favorite part is always the percussion cadences,” Walker said. “Even though it was freezing, it was a great experience. I would love to do it all over.”

13aarthur@usd489.com